As you know, the bundt bakers gather every month and create cakes based on whatever theme our founders, Anuradha of Baker Street and Lora of Cake Duchess, choose. But this month is special because it's the one year anniversary of the group. And so we were told to make a "fancy" bundt to help celebrate the occasion. Hmm. Fancy, huh?
2 Cups sugar
1 Cup vegetable or canola oil
1 Teaspoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1 Cup buttermilk
1/2 oz. Red food coloring *
2 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Teaspoon baking soda
3 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
* I did not want the full, artificial red color in my cake so I used half the typical amount of dye. If you'd prefer a more traditional red, use a full ounce.
3/4 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1 - 4 Tablespoons milk, as needed
Dash of salt
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda and cocoa powder. In a small bowl, toss the chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon of the flour/cocoa mixture. This will help prevent the chips from sinking to the bottom of the cake. Add the flour mixture into the wet batter and mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Butter and flour a 12 cup bundt pan and pour in the batter. Bake in a pre-heated 325 degree oven for 50 - 55 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Allow to cool thoroughly before removing from the pan.
To make the glaze, add the chocolate chips (less 1 tablespoon) to a bowl and microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir and microwave for an additional 15 seconds. Allow the residual heat in the bowl to melt any remaining unmelted chips. Stir in the butter and salt. The chocolate mixture may seize but don't worry. Slowly stir in the milk, one tablespoon at a time until you have a good pourable consistency. Pour the glaze over the cooled cake. Chop up the remaining tablespoon of chocolate chips and sprinkle over the top of the cake, if desired. Makes approximately 10 servings.
Want to join us and be part of Bundt-a-Month?
- Bake us a fancy bundt for September and post it before September 30, 2013
- Use the #BundtAMonth hashtag in your title
- Add your entry to the linky tool below
- Link back to our announcement posts
- Link to BundtaMonth on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/BundtaMonth
- Link to BundtaMonth on Pinterest at https://pinterest.com/bakerstreet/bundtamonth/
Please visit the other participating bloggers to see their amazing fancy bundt creations:
- Banana-Caramel Bundt Cake by Felice at All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Caramel Latte Bundt Cake by Heather at Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate and Wine Bundt from Holly at A Baker’s House
- Cinnamon Chocolate Bundt Cake by Alice at Hip Foodie Mom
- Devil’s Food Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze by Lora at Cake Duchess
- Funfetti Pudding Cake by Kate at Food Babbles
- Hong Kong Chiffon Mini Cakes by Kim at Ninja Baking
- Lemon Frangipane Bundt Cake by Paula at Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Little Bundt Pound Cakes by Renee at Magnolia Days
- Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Bundt Cake by Anuradha at Baker Street
- Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Bundt by Anita at Hungry Couple
- Rose Mini Bundt Cakes by Veronica at My Catholic Kitchen
- Simple Orange Bundt Cake by Kathya at Basic N Delicious
- Streusel Apple Bundt Cake by Laura at The Spiced Life
- Triple Chocolate Mini Bundts by Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- White Chocolate Bundt with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting by Sandra at Sweet Sensations