Happy Grab Some Nuts Day! No, I'm no kidding and I'm not nuts. Well...um...not completely. Anyway, yes this is an actual holiday, people. Nuts are good and healthy and delicious and we're celebrating them. By now you should know that my fellow food bloggers and I can't resist these wacky holidays and had to come up with nutty recipes to honor the occasion.
What better way to celebrate the nuts than by making a nut pie. Peanuts in the crust, peanuts in the filling, peanut butter in the caramel. I went totally nuts! OK, I'll stop now. Go make this because it's ridiculously good and then check out the other nutty offerings from my fellow nuts...er...bloggers. Enjoy!
1 Cup all purpose flour
1/3 Cups peanuts
1 Stick unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1" pieces
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
1/4 Cup ice water
1/2 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup heavy cream
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1/4 Cup peanut butter
Pinch of sea salt
3/4 Cup peanuts
Roll the dough out on a floured surface. You can make a 10" circle and drape it into a 9" tart pan or make 8 individual 4" tarts, as I did. Prick the dough a few times with the tines of a fork and fill each shell with pie weights or dry beans. Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 30 - 40 minutes or until the edges are a light golden brown. Remove the pie weights and allow the pie shells to cool completely.
Make the sauce by melting the sugar in a pot over a low to medium flame. Do not stir. When the sugar has completely dissolved, remove it from the heat and add the heavy cream. The mixture will bubble up. Return to a low heat and stir vigorously until all lumps are gone and the sauce is a light golden brown. Stir in the butter and the peanut butter and sprinkle in a good pinch of salt, to taste.
When the baked pie shells have cooled, add about 2 tablespoons of peanuts into each and fill with about 2 tablespoons of the caramel. Refrigerate for a couple of hours to set. Makes 8 servings.
Be sure to visit all the other nutty participants for Grab Some Nuts Day:
- How to Toast your Nuts by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Flourless Peanut Butter Walnut Brownie Cookies by It's Yummi
- Nutty Chocolate Chip Brownies by Roxana's Home Baking
- Salted Caramel Peanut Pie by Hungry Couple
- Pistachio Cream Cheese French Toast by Baking in a Tornado
- Dark Chocolate Chip + Hazelnut Cookies by Spiced
- Peanut Butter Martini Mousse by Cooking in Stilettos
- Classic Peanut Butter Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cashew and Pistachio Truffles by Culinary Ginger
- Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie by Kelli's Kitchen
- Bourbon Pecan Pie for One by The Spiffy Cookie
- Herb Roasted Cashews by Noshing with the Nolands