For some reason, 2018 is running by super fast for me. Half the things I was supposed to get to in the first quarter of the year are still untouched. And then suddenly I look up and it's two weeks to the start of long summer weekends, beach openings and grilling season. Not that those things are anything to complain about.
So let's talk about the upcoming Memorial Day weekend's menu. We love a good potato salad but I'm always trying to come up with mayo-free versions. Not that I don't love mayo but I don't love it sitting out in the hot sun. So I thought about a roasted salad and decided to add both sweet potatoes and corn because... delicious... and summer corn!
My twist this time is to roast the veggies with ghee. If you haven't tried it yet, ghee is basically clarified butter and very popular in Indian and Middle Eastern cuisines. I keep a jar of Ziyad's ghee in my kitchen and whenever I use it my house has the most delicious buttery aroma and the food is delectable. I love adding cumin to potatoes, especially sweet potatoes and I carried the flavor over to the beef sliders. I added a few red pepper flakes for heat and fresh lemon juice for brightness. Hello delicious summer feast. Enjoy!
Yield: 6 Servings
Ghee Roasted White and Sweet Potato Salad
Prep time: 15 MCook time: 45 MTotal time: 60 M
Recipe for a white and sweet potato salad roasted with ghee.
For the Salad:
For the Cumin Beef Sliders:
- 1 lb. Ground beef
- 1 Teaspoon Ziyad ground cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 4 Slider buns
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the ghee to a large bowl and melt for about 15 seconds in the microwave. Stir in the ground cumin.
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into wedges.
- Slice the creamer potatoes in half but no need to peel.
- Toss the potatoes in the ghee and cumin mixture and spread out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place the ears of corn on the same baking sheet and brush with the remaining ghee and cumin mixture left in the bowl.
- Roast in the oven for approximately 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and a light golden brown.
- Spread the potatoes out on a serving platter, slice the kernels off the ears of corn and add to the potatoes.
- Toss the vegetables with the arugula and lemon juice, then sprinkle with sea salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Season the beef with the cumin and salt and divide into 4 small patties. Grill or cook in a cast iron pan until the beef has reached your desired temperature and serve on the slider buns with the salad.
Created using The Recipes Generator
This recipe is sponsored by Ziyad. Thank you for supporting the products I love and use in my kitchen.