Last week we had our first mini heatwave. It's not usually in the 90's in New York in May but it happened and we all got an unexpected chance to see if our air conditioners were still working. Apart from being in need of a cleaning, mine seem to be OK.
The noise of my AC's running didn't drown out the sound of the ice cream truck making its rounds through the neighborhood and on its way to the park near my apartment. So, naturally, I suddenly had a craving.
I wasn't so much looking to chase after the truck but more inclined to scope out my kitchen for the makings of an icy cold milkshake. I had vanilla ice cream in the freezer, I had milk in the fridge and I had peanut butter and chocolate syrup in the cupboard. Perfect.
You can obviously skip the little baked doughnuts if you don't want to turn on your oven in the heat. But these minis do bake quickly. Most milkshake recipes just call for ice cream and milk plus whatever flavor you might be adding, such as the peanut butter. But I wanted something a little more refreshing and less of a sugar bomb. Don't worry, these milkshakes are still plenty sweet but adding ice and a pinch of salt elevates them a lot. Enjoy!
Yield: 3 Servings
Peanut Butter Milkshake with Chocolate Doughnuts
Prep time: 25 MinCook time: 10 MinTotal time: 35 Min
Recipe for a peanut butter and vanilla ice cream milkshake topped with baked mini chocolate doughnuts with a peanut butter glaze.
For the Mini Baked Chocolate Doughnuts:
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 Cup buttermilk
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 Cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
For the Peanut Butter Glaze:
- 1/2 Cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tablespoons whole milk
For the Glass Rims:
- Chocolate syrup
- Crushed peanuts
For the Peanut Butter Milkshakes:
- 2 Cups vanilla ice cream
- 3/4 Cup whole milk
- 1/2 Cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon chocolate syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and spray two mini doughnut pan (12 cavities each) with non-stick spray.
- Whisk together the melted butter, vanilla and buttermilk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet and fill the doughnut pan cavities about 3/4 full. Bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool. Recipe makes 24 mini doughnuts.
- To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, peanut butter, salt and milk until smooth. Dip the cooled doughnuts into the glaze and let sit for a minute to dry.
- To decorate the milkshake glasses, pour some chocolate syrup into a shallow dish and crushed peanuts into another. Run the rims of your glasses in the syrup and then in the peanuts. Freeze for a few minutes to set.
- To make the milkshakes, add the vanilla ice cream, peanut butter, milk, chocolate syrup and salt to a blender and puree until smooth. Add ice and puree until thick and smooth. Pour into the prepared glasses and either freeze or serve immediately with a straw and the doughnuts.
Created using The Recipes Generator