I have a hard time resisting anything in a crust, sweet or savory. So, when I'm developing recipes, I frequently ask myself - would this be good inside a crust of some kind? Truth.
When it comes to any kind of cheesy, beef filling, the answer is definitely yes. Some beef pies are deep fried, like empanadas, but baking is the way to go with my flaky homemade crust.
I make a variation of my favorite sweet pie crust but omit the sugar and add in some olive oil. It creates the perfect combination of flaky and tender crust. And when you bite into it, the inside is filled with cheesy, well seasoned beef. Such a great combo. Enjoy!
Cheeseburger Hand Pies
- 3 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 Sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 Cup ice water
- 1 lb. Ground beef
- 1 Onion, peeled and diced
- 1/4 Cup tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 Cup chopped parsley
- Add the all-purpose flour, salt, ground black pepper, unsalted butter and olive oil to a food processor. Pulse a few times until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With the machine running, pour the ice water through the feed tube until a dough ball forms. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- While the dough is chilling, add the beef to a large skillet or cast iron pan. Cook on medium heat, stirring often, until the meat begins to brown. Add the onion and continue cooking for a few more more minutes until it softens. Add in the tomato sauce, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt and ground black pepper and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Sir in the shredded cheese and parsley. Set aside to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the dough ball in half and roll each half to about a 12' square and cut into 4 equal squares. Then cut each square in half for a total of 8 piece. Repeat with the second dough ball.
- Top half the pieces with the beef mixture and top with the remaining pieces. Crimp the edges with a fork and brush with a beaten egg. Sprinkle on sea salt or everything-bagel seasoning, as desired.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the pastry is a light golden brown.