Normally, the post Labor Day, back-to-school, back to busy life is my favorite time. And it may look a little different this year. But one thing never changes which is that we need quick and easy dinner ideas for busy folks.
This recipe uses a delicious, store-bought rotisserie chicken and turns it into a filling meal. Just shred the meat, preferably without the skin, combine it with your favorite salsa (mild is the preference in my house), toss in some beans, spices and cheese. Then the whole thing gets layered between tortilla rounds and baked until all the cheesy goodness has melted.
Serve this one-pan dinner with a side salad and maybe a bit of guacamole and sour cream and everyone will be happy. Feeding beef lovers? Check out my beef version here. Vegetarians at the dinner table? No problem. Check out my veggie version here. Enjoy!
Shredded Chicken Tortilla Pie
- 1 Rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Onion, peeled and diced
- 1 Can (approximately 15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 Cups salsa, heat level optional
- 1/4 Cup chopped parsley
- 1 Teaspoon taco seasoning
- 4 Flour tortillas
- 2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the oil and onion to a large cast iron or other oven-safe skillet and saute on medium heat, stirring often, until softened.
- Add the salsa, shredded chicken and beans. Stir in the taco seasoning and continue cooking for another couple of minutes. Stir in the parsley and remove the mixture to a separate dish.
- Wipe out the pan with a paper towel and then place one tortilla on the bottom. Top it with a third of the chicken mixture and a quarter of the shredded cheese. Add the second tortilla, another third of the chicken mixture and another quarter of the cheese. Add the third tortilla, the remaining chicken mixture and another quarter of the cheese. Top with the fourth tortilla and the remainder of the cheese.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Serve hot.