If ever there was a time for comfort food, this is it. And any kind of pot pie situation is my idea of comfort. This skillet version combines browned beef with a creamy mustard sauce and is topped with flaky pastry. And if all you have on hand is ground chicken or turkey, the recipe will work just as well.
My secret for turning ordinary, classic dishes into something more gourmet is by adding spices or condiments. Mustard is my go-to for boosting flavor and, luckily, Maille Dijon Originale is a fridge staple in my house. Not only did it add crazy good flavor to my beef mixture but it added a delicious savory note to my crust.
Although I am normally a fan of all-butter pie crusts, I tend to get a little more creative with the non-sweet versions. Here I added in a bit of shortening for extra flakiness. The cheddar cheese and touch of mustard add a great savory quality to it, making it perfect to serve with the beef.
Since we're all stuck at home these days, there's a much bigger emphasis on cooking. I'd love to have you all join the My Maille Community group on Facebook. It launched a year ago and has over 38,000 members posting the most delicious and creative recipes. I stop in there frequently for cooking inspiration. When they get to 40K members, they'll send out goodies to 40 members and you might be one of them. Also check out the community page on their website for many of those great recipes. Enjoy!
Yield: 8 Servings
Beef Skillet Pie
Prep time: 30 MCook time: 45 MTotal time: 75 M
Recipe for a skillet pie with ground beef, mustard sauce and flaky pastry crust.
- For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon baking powder
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 Tablespoons shortening, chilled
- 1 Teaspoon Maille Dijon Originale Mustard
- 1/2 Cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 Cup ice water
- For the Filling
- 1 lb. Ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Onion, peeled and diced
- 2 Carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 Red bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Cup low-sodium beef stock
- 1/4 Cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon Maille Dijon Originale Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water for brushing over pastry
How to cook Beef Skillet Pie
- Add the all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder, unsalted butter and shortening to a food processor. Pulse a few times until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the mustard and cheddar cheese and pulse a few more times. Pour in the ice water and pulse until the mixture forms a dough ball. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Add the ground beef to a large oven-proof skillet or cast iron pan (I used a 10" cast iron) and brown for a few minutes. Remove the beef to a plate but leave any grease in the pan.
- Add the butter to the pan along with the diced onions, carrots and bell pepper. Cook on medium heat for a few minutes until the vegetables soften. Stir in the flour and then slowly stir in the beef stock, milk, mustard and salt.
- Add the ground beef back into the pan and continue cooking for a few minutes until the mixture begins to thicken. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- On a well floured surface, roll out the dough to a 10" round and place on top of the beef mixture in the pan. Cut a couple of slits, brush with the egg wash and bake in the oven for approximately 45 minutes or until the pastry is lightly browned.
Created using The Recipes Generator
Post a Comment
We'd love to hear from you!