Let's talk about Thanksgiving desserts. I always bake an apple pie because that is what we love best. But I also like to offer something pumpkin as well. Plain pumpkin pie is not our favorite but I have lots of other creative ideas.
While the apple pie, with its homemade buttery crust, is a staple, I vary the pumpkin treat each year. These little jar pies were a take-home treat for my guests many times and was a big hit. But this year I decided to make a crumb cake and, honestly, mostly because I wanted something to serve with my new ice cream recipe. Yeah, I might have worked backwards on this one.
I was experimenting with ice cream bases for a client and loved the addition of Greek yogurt. I used less sugar for an even bigger tang and then decided to add some back in with a swirl of honey. And while I reached into my cupboard for the honey, I remembered I also had a container of honeycomb so I broke it up into little chunks and swirled those in as well.
The crumb cake is awesome with or without the ice cream and the ice cream is awesome on its own. But, hey, it's Thanksgiving so let's eat them together. Enjoy!
Yield: 8 Servings
Pumpkin Crumb Skillet Cake with Honey Ice Cream
prep time: 1 hourcook time: 45 Mtotal time: 1 H & 45 M
Recipe for a pumpkin cake with a crumb topping, served with honey vanilla ice cream swirled with honeycomb.
- For the Cake:
- 1 Stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 Cup brown sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon ground ginger
- For the Crumb Topping:
- 1/2 Stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 Teaspoon salt
- For the Honey Ice Cream:
- 1 Cup whole milk
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- 1 Cup full fat, plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Teaspoon cream
- 1/4 Cup honeycomb chunks
How to cook Pumpkin Crumb Skillet Cake with Honey Ice Cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the ice cream, whisk together the whole milk, heavy cream, Greek yogurt, granulated sugar, vanilla and salt. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn for 15 to 20 minutes or following the manufacturer's directions. When the ice cream is done, transfer it to a lidded freezer container. In a separate bowl, whisk together the 2 tablespoons of honey and teaspoon of cream and swirl it through the ice cream. It does not need to be fully incorporated. Swirl in the chunks of honeycomb and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.
- To make the cake, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and butter a 10" cast iron skillet.
- Add the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat for about 5 minutes until smooth. Add in the eggs, one at a time, and continue beating. Add in the sour cream, vanilla and pumpkin and continue beating until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix just until incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared skillet.
- To make the crumb topping, mix together the melted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, flour and salt. Using your hands, clump the mixture together and sprinkle the clumps over the cake batter.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Created using The Recipes Generator
Post a Comment
We'd love to hear from you!