If you've been a reader for a while (thank you!), you will note that I haven't talked about my relationship status in quite a bit. And I wasn't really planning to. But, after a while of being single again, I'm OK again. And very proud of the steps I've taken to reshape my life. So, let me tell you about one of them.
Loneliness for a partner is one thing but the combination of working for myself and, having friends who have moved away, was not a good recipe for happiness. Last year I decided I'd felt sorry for myself long enough and went exploring. Through my local NextDoor, I found a book group, made some new friends and read many great books. Then I decided to see if there were any other cooking enthusiasts in my neighborhood and would they like to start a group. Yup, there sure were.
We met, we planned, we located a space and eventually found our rhythm. There are 40 or so of us on the list and we meet once a month, bringing dishes we cooked from a chosen cookbook or chef. We drink wine, laugh and stay for hours. And we've formed friendships in a New York neighborhood that's not especially known for community. During the month, we call each other, email, meet for drinks, visit each other's homes for a meal and offer help when someone is not feeling well.
Next week's meeting will mark our one year anniversary and I'm so proud of both the group I created and the big step I took to reshape my social life. For our anniversary party, we're each bringing appetizers and the apple puffs will be my contribution. They're a little sweet, a little savory, a little salty and absolutely perfect. Enjoy!
Yield: 8 Servings
Cheddar Apple Pie Puffs
prep time: 20 Mcook time: 45 Mtotal time: 65 M
Recipe for apples and cheddar cheese baked in mini pie dough rolls.
- For the Dough:
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1" pieces
- 3 Tablespoons ice water
- For the Filling:
- 2 Large Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 8 hunks (approximately 2" wide) extra sharp cheddar cheese
- For the Topping:
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 Tablespoon coarse sugar
How to cook Cheddar Apple Pie Puffs
- To make the crust, add the all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and butter to a food processor. Pulse a few times until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With the machine running, add in the ice water through the tube and continue running until it turns into a loose dough ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out the dough, on a well floured surface, to approximately a 10" circle and cut into 8 slices.
- Peel, core and quarter the apples and toss them in a bowl with the sugar, lemon zest and salt.
- Starting with the wide end of each dough piece, place a slice of cheddar cheese near the tip and top with a slice of apple. Roll forward toward the smaller end of the slice and place, fold side down, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and water, then brush the top of each puff with the egg wash. Sprinkle on the sugar and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the puffs are a light golden brown.
Created using The Recipes Generator
Love this, and congratulations! These look delicious.ReplyDelete