I have a serious affection for a good, loaded breakfast sandwich. What's not to love about all the delicious breakfast things stacked between two pieces of delicious bread? But what exactly constitutes breakfast things is open to interpretation and variation.
I was thinking about fun Mother's Day breakfast options and considered a sausage patty or even a great burger topped with a runny egg. So why not a falafel patty? It's basically a vegetarian burger and definitely goes well with a runny egg.
I can and have made my own falafel but I admit that my shortcut, in the form of Ziyad's falafel mix, is pretty damn tasty. It's perfectly seasoned and with just a touch of the heat that I love in a good falafel. But instead of forming into balls as I usually do, I just made it into a patty, slathered on some tahini sauce, crispy diced cucumbers and a perfectly fried egg. And if you (or mom) like all the pickled things, my fridge usually contains Ziyad's pickled wild cucumbers and cracked olives. Enjoy!
Yield: 4 Servings
Falafel and Egg Breakfast Sandwich
Prep time: 15 MCook time: 15 MTotal time: 30 M
Recipe for a breakfast sandwich with a falafel patty, tahini, diced cucumbers and topped with a fried egg.
- 1 Cup Ziyad falafil mix
- 3/4 Cup cold water
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 English (seedless) cucumber, diced
- 1/4 Cup tahini sauce (get my recipe here)
- 4 Rolls
- Side plate with Ziyad Pickled Wild Cucumbers and Ziyad Nablus Green Cracked Olives
- Canola oil for frying
- Combine the falafel mix and cold water, cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Add a couple of inches of oil to a large skillet or cast iron pan. Form the falafel mixture into 4 patties and fry for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Drain most of the oil from the pan but leave just enough to fry the eggs.
- Crack them one at a time into the pan and fry on medium high heat until the whites are set and the yolk is done to your liking.
- Assemble the sandwiches by placing a generous dollop of tahini sauce on the bottom of each roll, top with a falafel patty, a handful of diced cucumbers and a fried egg.
- Serve with picked vegetables.
Created using The Recipes Generator
This recipe is sponsored by Ziyad. Thank you for supporting the products I love and use in my kitchen.
Post a Comment
We'd love to hear from you!