Hannukah is about a week away so my mind has been drifting to classic holiday favorites like latkes and doughnuts. It's a celebration of oil, after all. But you don't have to be Jewish to appreciate fried potato pancakes anymore than you need to be Christian to eat Christmas cookies.
I grew up with a purist latke maker. My mother grated dozens of potatoes by hand, on the smallest blade for an extra fine texture, added just a touch of onion and fried them till they were golden and the entire neighborhood was hungry. Nothing will ever beat that flavor for me.
But there is room in the world for all kinds of variations when we're dealing with fried potatoes because how can you go wrong, really? For this batch I added some sweet potato and ground cumin, because cumin goes great with sweet potatoes. Then I added cheese because cheese goes great with everything. They're not my mother's latkes but I still managed to make all my neighbors hungry. Enjoy!
Yield: 4 Servings
Cheesy White and Sweet Potato Latkes
Prep time: 15 MCook time: 10 MTotal time: 25 M
Recipe for potato pancakes made with cheddar cheese, white and sweet potatoes.
- 3 Baking potatoes
- 1 Sweet potato
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Canola oil for frying
- Peel and grate the potatoes on a large box grater. You can also use the shredding attachment of a food processor. Place in a large kitchen towel and squeeze out the excess moisture, then place in a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, flour, garlic powder, baking powder, cumin, black pepper, salt and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Add about a 1/2" of oil to a large non stick or cast iron pan and raise the heat to medium/medium high. Add scoops of the potato batter to the pan and press down a bit to flatten out. Fry for about 5 minutes on each side or until lightly golden brown. Repeat until all the batter has been fried. Serve with sour cream or Greek yogurt.
Created using The Recipes Generator
I really need to get latkes in my life because they sound right up my alley-and I love this cheesy variation!ReplyDelete