I've been craving a fried chicken sandwich for weeks now. Not even kidding. But every time I look at take out menus I can't decide which to get. Some are just served on plain buns, some have no toppings, others don't come with coleslaw. I legit couldn't commit to a sandwich.
It came down to just making my own sandwich and then I could customize to my heart's content. And since I was going to make my own, there would definitely be better bread, heaps of coleslaw and copious amounts of bread and butter pickles.
Feel free to use whatever kind of sauce you like. I kept it simple with one slice of bread spread with mustard and the other slathered with mayo that was spruced up with fresh lemon juice. The coleslaw also had its own sauce, obviously. You can just serve that on the side but I liked how it tasted in one bite. Enjoy!
Yield: 4 Servings
Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwich
Prep time: 20 MCook time: 15 MTotal time: 35 M
Recipe for chicken, marinated in buttermilk, coated, fried and served on toasted bread.
For the Buttermilk Fried Chicken:
- 1 lb. Chicken breasts or tenders, sliced thin
- 1 Cup buttermilk
- 1 Cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Canola oil for frying
For the Sandwiches:
- 8 Slices bread, toasted
- Mayonnaise for spreading
- Mustard for spreading
- Coleslaw for topping
- Pickle slices for topping
- Add the chicken and buttermilk to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Stir together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika and red pepper flakes, if using, in a large bowl.
- Add a couple of inches of oil to a large cast iron pan and heat to about 350 degrees.
- Dredge the marinated chicken in the flour mixture, shake off the excess and place in the oil. Work in batches and don't overcrowd the pan. Fry on each side for about 3 minutes or until golden brown and the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove to a paper towel while you prepare the sandwiches.
- Spread half the slices of bread with mustard and the other half with mayonnaise or a mixture of mayo with some lemon juice. Top with lettuce, the fried chicken, coleslaw and pickles. Serve hot.
Created using The Recipes Generator