You've probably seen the Dalgona whipped coffee trend on social media. Not completely a new idea because it's similar to an old Indian beverage, but maybe new to us now. Plus it looks really cool so, of course, I had to try it.
A few things happen when I'm trying trendy recipes. First, I have to make it as written to see if it works, then I have to try to make variations of it. And, if possible, I try to turn it into a cocktail. It's how I roll!
Yes, the combination of instant coffee, sugar and hot water does indeed whip up to a magical cloud like substance and it's quick, too. I tried making it entirely out of cocoa powder. Nope. I tried adding cocoa powder in equal amounts to the coffee. Nope. I tried whipping it and then lightening it with stiffly beaten heavy cream. Nope. The magical whip, while quite sturdy on its own, will not whip if you add anything extra at the start and will deflate immediately if you add most things after it's done. But, I was successful in adding a bit of cocoa powder once it was whipped. Yay!
The flavor was still predominately coffee but it now had a hint of chocolate. The final phase of experimentation, turning it into a cocktail was the most fun. Mudslides are a combination of vodka, Irish cream, coffee liqueur and milk so the perfect base for the Dalgona whip. The result is strong, delicious, impressive and definitely for coffee lovers. Cheers!
Yield: 2 Servings
Chocolate Dalgona Mudslide Cocktail
Prep time: 10 MCook time: Total time: 10 M
Recipe for a vodka, Bailey's and Kahlua cocktail topped with whipped Dalgona coffee.
- For the Chocolate Whipped Coffee:
- 2 Tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons boiling water
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- For the Cocktail:
- 2 oz. Vodka
- 2 oz. Bailey's Irish Cream
- 2 oz. Kahlua or other coffee liqueur
- 8 oz. Milk
- Shaved chocolate for garnish
- Add the instant coffee, granulated sugar and boiling water to a bowl. Using a hand mixer, whip for 2 to 3 minutes or until the mixtures has whipped up and lightened in color. Once fully whipped, add the cocoa powder and whip for an additional minute.
- Add the vodka, Irish cream, coffee liqueur and milk to a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice, shake well and pour into two glasses filled with ice. Top with equal amounts of the whipped coffee and garnish with shaved chocolate, if desired.
Created using The Recipes Generator
It looks heavenly!!ReplyDelete