The other day I was reading a story and the main character was digging into a big salad for dinner. It might be sort of an odd thing to crave but that's what I instantly wanted. Not some simple side salad but a hearty, crunchy, filling recipe with lots of different textures.
I love the way arugula stands up to dressing so that was my base. Crunch from apples and cucumbers, roasted beets because I love them, goat cheese because it's what I want with beets and candied pecans for that something special. I used balsamic vinegar in the dressing because of how well it pairs with beets but also gave it just the tiniest amount of honey for balance the acidity.
Salt always plays an important role in my recipes and I especially like finishing a dish with the La Baleine sea salt I always keep around. So I was excited to try their new Essentiel, a low sodium sea salt. It's made from natural crystalized minerals along with added magnesium, calcium and potassium. The result is 50% less sodium than table salt without the bitter after taste.
I used it in my dressing and also sprinkled it on my lightly candied nuts. And, of course, finished the salad with a sprinkling of the salt on top just as I would with the regular sea salt. No bitterness, only yum. I ate this salad for dinner with a piece of crusty bread and could feel how badly my body had craved it. So much so, in fact, that I made it all over again the next day. Enjoy!
Yield: 4 Servings
Winter Crunch Salad
prep time: 15 Mcook time: 5 Mtotal time: 20 M
Recipe for a crunchy vegetable salad with arugula, apples, cucumbers, beets, goat cheese and candied pecans.
- For the Salad:
- 2 Cups arugula
- 2 Beets, roasted, peeled and sliced
- 1 English (seedless) cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 Apple, cored and sliced
- 1/2 Cup candied pecans
- 4 oz. Goat cheese
- For the Dressing:
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 Clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 1 Teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoon honey
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- La Baleine Essentiel salt, to taste
- For the Candied Nuts:
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 Cup pecans
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of La Baleine Essentiel salt
How to cook Winter Crunch Salad
- Melt the butter to a cast iron pan and stir in the pecans. Sprinkle on the sugar and toss to coat. Cook on medium high heat, stirring often, for a few minutes until the nuts are fragrant. Finish with a pinch of the salt and allow to cool.
- Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, mustard and honey to make the dressing. Season with pepper and the salt, to taste.
- Place a bed of the arugula on a platter and top with the beets, cucumbers, apples and goat cheese. Drizzle on the dressing and top with the candied pecans.
Created using The Recipes Generator
This recipe is sponsored by La Baleine. Thank you for supporting the products I love and use in my kitchen.