Let's talk vegetable side dishes. Whether you're planning the meal for Thanksgiving, Christmas or any entertaining in between, I'm upping my roasted cauliflower game big time.
I love cauliflower pretty much any way there is and roasting it with a bit of olive oil and maybe some Parmesan cheese happens here on the regular. I tend to leave the heavy gratin dishes for special occasions but, if I'm going there than I'm doing it right. Roasting the cauliflower before baking it in the cheese sauce adds a lot of flavor but also helps cut down some of the water that cauliflower exudes.
It's delicious just with the cheese sauce but, since I'm upping the game, I figured some crispy fried shallots would be a great compliment to the creamy sauce. You can certainly sprinkle crispy bacon on top instead but something about fried onions or shallots screams holiday to me. Probably because of the traditional green bean casserole with the canned crunchy onions. But homemade crispy things are so much better. This can serve four but probably closer to two if you happen to live with me. Enjoy!
Yield: 4 Servings
Roasted Cauliflower Gratin with Crispy Shallots
Prep time: 15 MCook time: 1 hourTotal time: 1 H & 15 M
Recipe for a cheddar cheese cauliflower gratin topped with fried shallots.
For the Crispy Shallots:
- 1 Shallot, peeled and sliced
- Canola oil
- Salt to taste
For the Gratin:
- 2 Cups cauliflower florets
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 Cup whole milk
- 1 Teaspoon mustard
- 1 Cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees and spread the cauliflower florets in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with the olive oil and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan and whisk in the flour until you have a paste. Whisk in the milk until the flour mixture is smooth and fully incorporated. Stir in the mustard, cheese, salt and pepper.
- When the cauliflower is done, add it to a baking dish and pour the cheese sauce over it. Return to the oven for an additional 30 minutes.
- Add about an 1" of canola oil to a skillet and add the sliced shallots. Fry on high heat, stirring often for 7 - 10 minutes or until they are a light golden brown. Using a slotted spoon or spider, remove the shallots to a paper towel lined dish and sprinkle with a bit of salt. Serve the cauliflower with the crispy shallots over top.
Created using The Recipes Generator