Galette is the French term for a flat pastry but I just consider it a nice way of saying lazy pie. As in, I found some beautiful blueberries in the market and I really feel like eating blueberry pie but I really don't feel like dealing with crust crimping. No problem, just make a galette!
I normally make a simple all butter crust for my pies. But, this time I decided to add a couple of ingredients and turn it into a pate sucree (another French term!) which just means a pie crust with an egg and some cream. The texture is a bit more cookie-like which I though went well with the flat nature of a galette. Also, I like things that are cookie-like.
You can continue the lazy pie theme and just top this with a scoop of store bought ice cream. But I wanted something cool and refreshing to go with the berries. So I combined heavy cream and strained Greek yogurt to make a tangy whipped cream that was the perfect little extra for this dessert. Enjoy!
Yield: 8 Servings
Blueberry Lemon Galette with Labneh Whipped Cream
Prep time: 25 MinCook time: 45 Mininactive time: 1 HourTotal time: 2 H & 10 M
Recipe for a rustic, free-form blueberry and lemon pie.
For the Pastry:
- 1 1/4 Cups all purpose flour, plus extra for rolling out the dough
- 1 Stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into 1" pieces
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup heavy cream, cold
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
For the Filling:
- 2 Cups blueberries
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
For the Labneh Whipped Cream:
- 1/2 Cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1/4 Cup powdered sugar
- Make the pastry by adding the flour, butter, sugar and salt to a food processor. Pulse a few times until the mixture resembles course crumbs. Combine the egg and cream and pour through the feed tube while the machine is running. Continue running just until a dough ball forms. Be careful not to over-mix. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Make the filling by adding the blueberries to a large bowl and tossing with the lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, flour and salt.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- On a well floured surface, roll out the dough to approximately a 12" circle. Spoon the blueberry filling into the center and fold up the edges about a quarter of the way. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 45 minutes or until the crust is a light golden brown.
- To make the cream, stir the salt and yogurt together and place in a piece of cheesecloth suspended over a bowl or in a fine mesh strainer. Let drain on the counter for about 30 minutes and then refrigerate just until cool. Whip together the heavy cream and sugar until stuff peaks form and then quickly whip in the strained yogurt.
Created using The Recipes Generator