Being a native New Yorker, I'm used to a bagel with a schmear (of cream cheese) as a given. Every deli has it as the morning special with coffee, as do the street vending carts that offer breakfast options in midtown. It's our thing. Our delicious thing. The only question, really, is what kind of bagel you want with your schmear.
But, a few years ago, I started seeing bagels with the schmear on the inside. What? I needed this. I made immediate plans to learn to make it myself. So, OK, "immediate" kind of got pushed to "OMG, it's been how long since I said I was making these??"
Whatever. I've made them now. And yes, little bagel bites with the schmear on the inside is definitely a thing I need and you need. Everybody needs. Since I was dunking dough in a water bath anyway, I decided to give them a light pretzel crust too because, that's also a thing that's needed. I'm 100% sure you could stuff these with cheddar cheese, too. In fact, I think I'll go do that because it sounds amazing. Enjoy!
Yield: 16 Bagel Balls
Cream Cheese Stuffed Pretzel Bagel Balls
Prep time: 45 MinCook time: 25 MinTotal time: 1 H & 10 M
Recipe for mini pretzel bagels stuffed with cream cheese.
For the Bread:
- 1 1/3 Cup warm water (115 - 120 degrees F)
- 1 Packet (1/4 oz.) instant dry active yeast
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 3 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons salt
For the Filling:
- 8 oz. Cream cheese
- 1/4 Teaspoon dried oregano
For the Brine:
- 8 Cups water
- 1/4 Cup baking soda
- Add the warm water to a large bowl along with the sugar and yeast. Allow to sit for 10 - 15 minutes for the yeast to bloom. (You'll see it bubble.) Stir in the flour and salt and turn it out onto a floured surface. Knead for a few minutes. Place the dough into a bowl coated with a tablespoon of oil and cover. Let sit in a warm place for an hour to rise.
- While the dough is rising, stir the oregano into the cream cheese and divide into 16 balls. Cover and place in the freezer.
- When the dough has risen, pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Fill a large pot with the water and baking soda and bring to a boil.
- Divide the dough into 16 balls and roll each ball out to about a 3" circle. Place one ball of frozen cream cheese onto each circle and fold the dough up.
- Dip the balls into the boiling water and baking soda for 1 minute and then place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the tops of each ball with an egg wash or a little heavy cream and sprinkle on the seasoning. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the bagels are a browned.
Created using The Recipes Generator
Post a Comment
We'd love to hear from you!