It all started when I decided to make some Valentine's treats for friends and neighbors. I figured I'd do something fun and colorful but my baking cabinet was sadly out of red or pink sprinkles. So I headed to the store to restock and saw heart shaped sprinkles (what??) and red candy melts and heart shaped cutters and I bought them all without even knowing what I was going to do with them.
Because cherries and chocolate were meant to be together, I stacked the cake hearts with a scoop of my favorite cherry preserves in the middle. Smaller heart cutouts for individual portions and larger hearts for a romantic little mini cake to share. If you space the hearts close together, you should have a minimum of wasted sheet cake. Of course, cake scraps are what gives the baker the energy to go on. Hahaha. Enjoy!
Yield: 8 Servings
Heart Shaped Chocolate Cherry Mini Cakes
Prep time: 30 MinCook time: 20 MinTotal time: 50 Min
Recipe for heart shapes cut out of a chocolate sheet cake and topped with ganache and sprinkles.
For the Cake:
- 2 Sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/4 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Cup boiling water
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Cups sugar
- 1/2 Cup sour cream
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Teaspoon salt
For the Filling:
- 1/2 Cup cherry preserves
For the Ganache:
- 8 oz. Semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 1 Tablespoon butter
For the Topping:
- Red Candy Melts (optional)
- Colorful sprinkles (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a half sheet pan (approx. 18" x 13") or jelly roll pan (approx. 12" x 17") with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter and whisk in the cocoa powder. Pour in the boiling water and stir until combined. Set aside to cool.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, cream together the eggs and sugar. Beat in the vanilla and sour cream followed by the cooled chocolate mixture
- Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt and mix into the wet ingredients. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool slightly and then cut out heart shapes with a 3" or 4" cutter. Place about a teaspoon or two of cherry preserves on half the heart shapes and top with the other half.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or the microwave and stir in the heavy cream and butter. If using candy melts, melt them as well in a double boiler or microwave. Pour the chocolate ganache over each stacked heart cake and top with the melted candy melts and sprinkles. Makes about 16 3" hearts which yields 8 tiered cakes.
Created using The Recipes Generator