I've been pondering Mother's Day brunch menu options and keep hearing people tell me to make French toast. They tell me how much they love French toast. But the thing is, I don't really love it. There's nothing wrong with it, of course, but it just seems kind of boring. Stuffed French toast isn't boring though and although it's not a new idea, it was new to me.
The stuffing options are endless but a pound of beautiful ripe strawberries made up my mind for me. I also found a seriously good looking loaf of brioche and I wanted to see how different it would be from the more traditional challah. Both are egg breads but the challah tastes eggier to me and I preferred the brioche. As for the filling, it's basically a form of no bake cheesecake which means there's no way to go wrong here. And yes, this has made me way more excited about French toast. Enjoy!
Yield: 2 Servings
Strawberries and Cream Stuffed French Toast
Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 30 MinTotal time: 45 Min
Recipe for French toast filled with sweet cream cheese and strawberries.
- 1/2 lb. (Approx. 8 strawberries), hulled and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 4 Slices brioche or challa bread
- 4 oz. Cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Large egg
- 1/4 Cup whole milk or half and half
- Butter for sauteing
- Powdered sugar for serving
- Add the sliced strawberries and 2 tablespoons of sugar to a bowl and let sit for about 15 minutes to macerate.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth. Spread the mixture equally on each slice of bread, spoon two of the slices with about a quarter of the sugared strawberries each and top with the remaining slices of bread.
- Beat the egg and milk together in a shallow bowl and dip both sandwiches into the mixture. Turn over and dip the other side as well.
- Melt butter in a large skillet and add the dipped sandwiches. Saute for a few minutes on each side until the bread is a light golden brown. Serve warm with a dusting of powdered sugar.
Created using The Recipes Generator