Did you know that April is National Grilled Cheese Month? I'm sure I celebrate this holiday way more often than just one month a year but I'm going to roll with it. Because there are very few things more comforting than toasted bread with piles of gooey cheese, right?
Now people can certainly debate what constitutes a grilled cheese sandwich as opposed to just a regular sandwich with cheese on it. Actually, I'd be much happier watching that debate than anything our political candidates have put out lately. But I digress.
If you're a purist, than only bread and cheese will do. Possibly a slice of tomato. But that would hardly be worthy of an entire month of celebrations. So, for the purposes of honoring the holiday, I'm saying it's any sandwich that requires the cheese in order to be good.
Now that we've agreed on that, I had fun recreating one of my favorite salads in grilled cheese sandwich form. Cobb salads typically include salad greens of some kind, bacon, tomato, avocado, grilled chicken and blue cheese. Some people add a hard cooked egg but I never have. Sounds like all the makings of a great sandwich, doesn't it? What's that? You think blue cheese doesn't melt well? Ah, that depends on what kind you choose. I used a creamy Gorgonzola (the basis of many great sauces), made sure it was at room temperature before adding it to the bread and got a great ooey gooey melt. I also got one hell of a great grilled cheese sandwich. Enjoy!
Yield: 2 Servings
Cobb Salad Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 15 MinTotal time: 25 Min
Recipe for a grilled cheese sandwich with chicken avocado, tomato, bacon and blue cheese.
- 4 Slices bread
- 2 Tablespoons softened butter
- 1/2 Cup salad greens
- 2 Pieces grilled chicken
- 1/2 Avocado, sliced
- 1 Tomato, sliced
- 4 Slices cooked bacon
- 2 oz. Creamy Gorgonzola cheese, at room temperature
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread the butter evenly on one side of each slice of bread and flip them over so the butter is on the outside. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and assemble two sandwiches.
- Add the salad greens, then the grilled chicken, the avocado slices, tomato, bacon and cheese. Top with the remaining bread, buttered side up. Bake for 15 minutes or until the bread is a nice golden brown. Serve warm.
Created using The Recipes Generator